Friday 7 March 2014

March 2014

Monday 31st March

Well what a lovely last day of March. Started off really foggy but ended up warm and very nice. My last day at home for a week as tomorrow I drive off on my first trip away teaching this year. Mark and I made the most of the day ;)

Mark played and then rode  bareback Stormy and Holly. Started teaching Mark leg yields on Holly to help her become flexible on both sides. I use leg yields on circles a lot with her and Solly to help supple them up.







Me and Solly


We did some liberty play in one of the round pens, then I saddled him up and we went and watched Mark with Holly, I've done this a few times the last week and I do it as a challenge for him to stand still with me.

Then we played at liberty, saddled, over jumps to help girth him up and we then went into the 2nd round pen that has 6 cones around the insides. We played at liberty around the cones, weave and fig 8's and then I bridled up and mounted.

Riding in the round pen we made use of the cones with the games 'touch it', 'weave' and 'fig 8'. These all helped him get focused and connected to me. When it felt that we had found relaxation, co-operation I dismounted and went to see Mark riding Stormy ;)



 Great draw....


 ....love that draw ;)


More great draw :)



Mark and Stormy


After a short liberty play Mark rode Stormy bareback. All the riding they've been doing is paying off. Stormy is becoming lighter and understand the requests to turn and is enjoying his ridden work.







Me and Solly again ;)



Before riding again we warmed up with some liberty fun again. This time I decided to try a new game...'run away from me and jump a jump'......


Jump away.....


 ...and jump/draw towards ;)




 Really enjoyed working on 'jump away' and Solly really enjoyed
doing them...he's such a clever boy, love him to bits ;)



I then mounted and rode Solly for a while, he was a bit
under impulsed but we did some nice circles, leg yielding
and popped a few jumps for fun and ended on a good note.

















Saturday 29th March

Such a great start to the year, another good solid day of riding, finding relaxation, co-operation, impulsion and some flexibility...love our horses and having a great time with them all ;)


 Stop before a jump (asked for) ;)


 Levade and jump


 Good jump


 Canter getting smoother and more 'uphill' at times now ;)


 yeehaa jump


 Me sitting on Solly watches Mark riding Stormy ;)



Mark and Stormy....doing well with this consistency riding


 Solly's ears, listening to me, relaxed watching Stormy and Mark ;)


 Stormy with trotting poles ;)


 Solly ;)


 Mark and Stormy and me and Solly play
'Follow the Leader'



 Good game, we changed leaders twice ;)


 Me and Solly.....started of with sticky feet but worked
on some motivation games




 Felt much better by the end of session ;)
 



Friday 28th March


Another fair day here in Perthshire so Mark and I go out to play/ride the boys again...am liking this week of riding ;)


Me and Stormy

Working on finding steering, impulsion and working on circles











Mark and Stormy

Working on steering, impulsion and straight lines











Me and Solly


Working on impulsion and finding our inner connection through
relaxation and consistency on circles ;)










Wednesday 26th March

Oh my what a beautiful day we had weather wise....actually warm sunshine (still chilly in the shadow's though). Mark and I out to play/ride horses again. This has been the best Spring routine we've had.

Stormy was a very good boy, taking things in his stride, learning more obedience and Mark took him for a ride around the field to give him some variety in his training ;)

Holly as always was a darling, Mark took her too outside the arena today and managed a flying jump which was pretty impressive for both of them.

Solly was a good boy too but we found some bravery issues and I need to really figure out how to gain his attention more and give him some good lateral work to do when riding in 'new' places so that he stays relaxed and obedient.

All in all it was a very good day with Mark and I both in our shirt sleeves and the horses all getting some progressive work ;)





















Monday 24th March
Cold but dry, windy but liveable with SO again taking the dry weather opportunities Mark and I go out and play with the boys ;)













Sunday 23rd March


Lovely day with horses and Mark  ;)

I played with Solly then rode Holly.
Mark played and rode Stormy & Holly.














Saturday 22nd March

Grabbed a chance today whilst the weather was calm to get out with the horses for some play/riding ;)

I firstly groomed my Tara and Solly as they are very much moulting and needing some scratching up. Then played online and at liberty with Solly and then I rode him gently for just getting some basic's back and start of our fitness program.

Mark did some poo picking and then groomed Stormy and played/rode him bareback ;)

Good sessions had by all and it was GREAT to be back in the saddle.


Solly and Me playing online then at liberty for saddling
and then riding basic's





















Mark and Stormy riding bareback ;)














 



Wednesday 12th March

Well today we had sunshine, warmth and a great day for moving the herd back to their big field ;) SO EXCITING.

Here's the pic's from the trip and the herd's short yeehaa when they got back to their field, think they're pretty self-explanatory ;)




























Monday 10th March



Another sunny day.....yeehaa ;) Mark and I out again to trim the boys this time and then I have a short play online with Solly. Was going to ride him but he had a cut beneath his eye this morning so didn't want to ride him in case he was sore! not sure what he's done, probably scratched it on a low tree branch! ;(



The 3 Musketeers! lol



Solly cut beneath his left eye ;( Silly Solly


Falling Leaf and 'S' bend exercises




Managed to 'elevate' himself in a bit of trot work today ;)



 
Sideways part of 'Rolling Rock'...


Back up part of 'Rolling Rock' ;)



Tossing rope over head from behind Solly ;)


Rope around spins ;)




Change of direction inside and outside circle ;)




Treat time! ;)


 
Sidle over pole! :)


Extreme friendly with tarpaulin....






Jump ;)


Jump/Stop...



...Sidepass off jump ;)


And jump/stop other side...


...and sidepass towards over jump :)







Sunday 9th March

Some dry weather today so out with Mark to trim the girls and then we both have a short bareback ride on each...felt really good ;)








Solly perfecting his cone retrieval...


...he's such a character ;)










Thursday 5th March

Still a LOT of awful weather here...on/off rain daily, some dry spells but now getting more wind coming down the glen ;( Anyway, I try to do SOMETHING small with the horses when I can and just fit it around the weather, feed time or poo picking sessions ;)

Today I went down to poo pick an area and the boys were interested in sticking close SO after picking up a couple of poops I played with one of them and alternating games and horse each time. Solly and Stormy did some lovely backing up, sideways towards, sideways away and circling all at liberty with me today. It was also in the whole of the field as I took down the poly pole arena as they kept trashing it! lol. Very pleased with the boys and how they wanted to be with me today.

I then spent some time grooming Solly and Tara and then rode Tara around bareback with a neck string which was a lot of fun....I find it VERY interesting that the herd 'follow' where Tara and I were going....they really like knowing where she is....we actually all went down to a flat area and took turns taking some water from the big puddle down there ;)

Solly also did some good 'retrieving' for me with my flag, he's such a good boy...have been using this technique to keep him interested in constructive play by picking up the feed bowls in the morning and evening too ;)


 Solly checking flag out
 Solly picked up flag and looking at me
Solly bringing flag to me ;)